Basmati Rice with Nuts & Spices is a great, flavorful pairing for grilled chicken or pork tenderloin.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped unsalted cashews
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup golden raisins (optional)
- salt, freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion and garlic, and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add nuts and rice; stir to coat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a 2-quart casserole lightly coated with cooking spray or oil and bake, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Makes 6 servings.
Source: The Big Book of Potluck, by Maryana Vollstedt.